Author Topic: A Goalie is Born.....Is your child a goalie?  (Read 12284 times)

Sensei

• Administrator
  • Goalie Dojo Member
A Goalie is Born.....Is your child a goalie?
« on: Apr 04, 2012, 07:28 AM »
Some children between the ages 4 to 10 display certain attributes geared towards being a hockey goaltender.

Signs that suggest your child has the mind and spirit geared towards being a goalie:

1. Does your child like to play goalie in road hockey, knee hockey or other sports?

2. Does your child play forward or defence but seems to always be hanging out near the net and trying to block shots?

3. Does your child have above average concentration and focus?

4. Does your child have some sort of obsessive-compulsive trait?

5. Is your child a perfectionist and doesn't give up easily?

6. Does your child seem more mature for his age?

7. Does your child easily shake off getting hurt?

Signs that suggest your child has the athleticism and physical attributes geared towards being a goalie.

1. Does your child like to sit with his/her legs folded or on his/her knees?

2. Does your child like to roll or roam around on the floor or ground?

3. Does your child crouch down a lot, jump around, do rollovers, cartwheels, splits, tumbling, or other gymnastic-type moves? (i.e. Is he/she flexible and agile?)

4. Does your child react quickly or have fast reflexes?

5. Does your child have good eyesight?

If you answered YES to the majority of questions above, then your child is a good candidate to be a hockey goaltender. With proper training and support, he or she can develop into a very good goalie.

YoungGrasshopper

Re: A Goalie is Born.....Is your child a goalie?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2012, 03:59 PM »
Good post!
I would have to say that this is probably more modern, but when I was younger the goalie was one of two people. Back in the houseleague days you could spot the goalie because he was the one that did the best when his rotation turn came around, or the one that always wanted to play in net despite there being a rotation. However, in my case i ended up the goalie because I wasn't a very good skater.  :P
I think 6 and 7 are keys to being a mentally stong goalie, if you child has that early odds are they will not only succeed in hockey but could do wonders and be successful in life. They are tough to teach thats for sure.
YoungGrasshopper